A friend with benefit is the type of relationship in which two people are physically intimate with one another, but they’re not committed to each other in any way. People who involve in this kind of relationship clearly enjoy spending time with each other, hooking up, and having fun.
You might simply be trying to determine if it’s the right situation for you. Not to forget that it is important to understand what this casual relationship truly entails to avoid stories that touch the heart.
Below are a few key points to keep in mind if you are considering friends with benefits kind of relationship.
- Be clear with what you both want. Before you enter a friend with benefits relationship, ensure you and the person involved is on the same page. Discuss your terms expressly and reach an agreeing point. Having proper clarity helps to avoid confusion, hurt feelings, and misread signals. By so doing your no-strings connection can be as problem-free as possible.
- Clear all expectation of commitment. Accept it with your full chest that this person does not owe you any form of commitment. He/she have the right to be intimate with someone else. It is very important to understand that this person isn’t going to be able to provide you with all the emotional support and care that are typically demonstrated by a partner in a committed relationship.
- Know that this person may be with other people. Understand the connection is not solely based on the two of you. In fact, either of you is free to date more people. Protect your emotional health by understanding that your friend with benefits relationship is bound to end at any time and for any reason.
- Ensure that this is the kind of relationship you truly want with this person. While it’s certainly possible for a friend with benefits relationship to transition into something more over time, you’re likely heading for heartbreak if this is your goal from the outset. Kill that imagination first and be clear it is what you really want to do and not what you want to settle for.
- Enjoy each other space and have fun!!!!
In conclusion, DO NOT agree to a friend with benefits relationship because it’s the only thing that your potential partner is willing to do. Do not allow unrequited love to lead you to a friend with benefit relationship.
ALSO READ: Handling Conflict in Relationship